Tuesday, March 05, 2013

shepherd's hut hideaway

I guess everyone dreams of a space they can call their own.  Most of us can squirrel away a corner in our home and some of us are lucky enough to have a room all to ourselves.  I don't wish to be greedy, but what I really want isn't a corner, or even a room tucked away at the other end of the house.  I want a Shepherd's Hut.  Used predominantly in the late 18th to mid 19th century, they were the temporary home of the Shepherd when the sheep were lambing or the flock was far from the farm.  As the hut was never meant to be a permanent home they were pretty sparse inside.  There was usually space for one man, his dog and the occasional orphaned lamb.  There is also some evidence from surviving original huts that some had a stove built in too for warmth.  Nowadays most people use them as an extra guest room, or glamping accommodation, but I would have it as my office and hideaway from the world.  I'd have a wood burning stove, bunting, a squashy leather chair to read in, soft cashmere cushions and rugs underfoot.  On top of the stove a kettle would boil merrily and tucked away
at the far end, my lap top and a few treasured possessions; a place to work, dream and hide.








Image source:  Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment