Thursday, April 26, 2012

Living with Light -

Scandinavian Living

I can't get enough of bright, light interiors;  If I were to define my prefered decor style I'd say a cross between Scandinavian and French - the simple lines and light of Scandinavian design really attract me, and the shabby-chic French look just compliments it.  At the moment London is bowing under leaden skies, thunder and bouts of torrential rain and Spring and Summer seem to have retreated in despair.  When the weather is inclement I take to my books for summer inspiration and one currently on my bedside is Living with Light by Gail Abbott.  It's full of fresh inspirational shots of light-filled rooms and how to use small details to make a stylish statement in keeping with the Scandinavian look. "The colours used in many Scandinavian homes are whites, neutrals and the tones and hues of nature - the grey blues of a northern lake at dawn or the cool vanilla light of the midnight sun.


Surfaces are painted pale, or emboldened with blocks of bright white. Windows, triple glazed to keep in the heat in winter, are dressed with fine, unlined fabrics to let in the maximum amount of light, and mirrors reflect every gleam of precious daylight or candlelight into nooks and niches"




A serene light-filled room to eat in

I can see myself working in this space


and sleeping in this gorgeous space

I love the way the light is reflected through this doorknob


Small details, the napkins and plant, make the difference
How do you like to bring light into your home?

Photo sources: all Living with Light by Gail Abbott

No comments:

Post a Comment